Skip to main content

Is Super Smash Bros. For Wii U Any Good?

The Title Says It All
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U - Videogame Review by Nathan Brooks


Guess who's back
Here's a hypothesis for you; "Everybody likes Smash Bros." To test this, you need to go up to someone (prefably someone you know) and ask them if they like Smash Bros. If yes, great, if no, buy Smash Bros. For Wii U (if you don't already own it) and invite this person, and everybody else who said no, to play an 8-player Smash. The answer will almost certainly be yes afterwards. Super Smash Bros. For Wii U is unbelievably fun and not smiling at least once whilst playing is impossible. 

Story
There is no story. It's Smash Bros., what do you want?
Story: N/A

Presentation
There's very little I can say about the presentation. Are the graphics excellent? Yes. Is the music excellent? Yes. Anything else to add? No. 

In other words, it's perfect.
Presentation: 10/10

Gameplay
The main aim of a game should be to entertain the player and Smash Bros. For Wii U does exactly that and it does it outstandingly. 

The fighting mechanics are perfectly designed so that every different player is able to develop is or her own unique play style. In fact, this game makes that one of the main focuses. You can customise characters with badges that make their attack, defence or agility stronger as well as unlock new special moves for them as well, but more on that later.

The Great Cave Offensive itself
Courses are (mostly) excellently designed, my personal favourite being the Great Cave Offensive, by far the best stage to play an 8-player Smash on. Oh yeah, when you get the Smash Bros. haters to play an 8-player Smash, make sure it's on this course. The great thing about the Great Cave Offensive is it's size. All 8 players get split up, with a few groups of 2-3 players fighting each other in different sections of the course. If you play on stock mode (which I highly recommend), eventually a victor from each group will emerge, all of which will then fight to the death in a sort of final round. Finally, the strongest will win and then the losers will probably beg for a rematch which you won't hesitate to play. 

I can't describe how fun this game is. The enjoyability is not possible to imagine for a human being's mind, it's that fun. All of this is thanks to the perfectly crafted gameplay 
that couldn't be any better. Unless you're one of those people who whinge about the game being to similar to previous Smash Bros., but changing it would be stupid, because as the old saying goes, "If it's Smash Bros., don't fix it." Or at least something like that.
Gameplay: 10/10

Lasting Appeal
You know what? This game is so good I could go on for ages about the amazing things in it, so for this final section, I'm going to just tell you the bad things.

So, um... I guess erm... I err... I have no idea.

I've heard negative things about the Smash Tour mode, but I've never played it, because I haven't had to. Surely that's a good thing right? There's so much good stuff to do, that the game itself prevents you from ever having to play it's only shortcoming. You can't really complain about that shortcoming then, can you?

So many characters, so little ti- wait,
haven't I done this before?
There is so much in this game. I've already mentioned custom characters and that is an excellent feature.  You unlock special moves and badges by playing the classic mode, which is excellent fun, single player, or 2-player co-op. Obviously, there's a huge roster of characters and loads of stages to unlock and play on as well. There's also Stadium Modes, Training Modes, Special Smashes, 8-player Smashes (one of the best things to ever enter the gaming world) and the good old regular Smash.

Basically, it's virtually impossible to get bored of this game. Even if this game was just Smash Mode, you probably won't get bored for a very, very long time. For about 50 years, at the least.
Lasting Appeal: 10/10

Final Thoughts
Best game of the year. Get a Wii U now.
Overall: 10/10
This looks like Toad cruelty to me. Is he being payed for this?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Catch-Up

As I've mentioned in my review of Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born , there are a number of films I tragically didn't get the opportunity to review whilst Doctor Who was on. There are still a couple more I want to give full reviews to (hopefully before the end of the year) but right now I'm going to catch up on the majority of the films I missed with another collection of capsule reviews. It's a Christmas miracle! The Post I somehow forgot to write about this one when I did my last catch-up, but that doesn’t matter, because I can write about it now! The Post is a Spielberg film in a similar vein to 2015’s surprisingly brilliant Bridge of Spies . With the content itself not being as fantastical as what Spielberg is known for, his brilliant filmmaking skills are given extra space to shine. This is most noticeable in the incredible way the cinematography reflects the discomfort Meryl Streep’s Kay Graham feels when entering a room filled with stuffy ...

Is Super 8 Any Good?

Super Gr8 Super 8 - A Late Film Review by Nathan Brooks Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of a train exploding. A little while back, Disney bought Star Wars off of George Lucas. Shortly afterwards, they announced they were going to make not one, not two, not three, not four, not fi- oh no wait, it is five. Five new Star Wars films, the first of which, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is being directed by J.J. Abrams. The real question, however, is whether Abrams will do a good job of it or not. Well, this is the film that makes me confident he will. Story On it's own the story isn't extremely amazing, it's just about a bunch of kids discovering a government conspiracy, although it is still interesting. It doesn't reveal too much, meaning you're kept in the dark throughout the majority of the film, so you're always wanting to find out what happens next. The thing is though, that's sort of a sub plot. The main part of the story is th...

Molly's Game Review

Up until this point, Aaron Sorkin has exclusively been a writer. Responsible for creating iconic TV shows such as  The West Wing and The Newsroom , as well as recently penning the screenplays for  The Social Network and  Steve Jobs , Sorkin's dense, witty and rapid-fire style is successful with critics and audiences alike. However, Molly's Game marks Sorkin's first time in the director's chair. Unlike The Social Network and Steve Jobs , where Sorkin's writing was filtered through directors David Fincher and Danny Boyle respectively, this is purely his vision . Is it any good, or is it just an indulgent attempt to cram as many words into 140 minutes as possible? There is no doubt that Molly's Game is an Aaron Sorkin film. Dialogue is the centre of attention and for good reason: it's excellent. Of course, it isn't exactly naturalistic. Every line sounds like one that you come up with an hour after a conversation and wish you'd said instead. Howe...