Skip to main content

Nintendo @ E3 2015 = Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

Nintendo @ E3 2015
Random Thoughts: Nintendo's Digital Event = Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

First rule of Internet Content 'Use weird titles, because people will click on them'. The second rule is 'Then completely forget about that title', but I'm going to ignore that. Also Katniss has to be in there somewhere, that's quite important too.

So E3 was this week, E3 being the annual gaming expo were all the huge companies announce their upcoming games. Just like last year, Nintendo are the only company I actually care about and also just like last year, Nintendo have chosen to ditch the classic stage presentation and instead release a 'Digital Event', a quick and simple 50 minute long video showcasing everything Nintendo is going to release in the near-ish future. Last year, it was excellent. It was original, it announced loads of exciting stuff and was surprisingly funny. This year, well, it had puppets, I guess? 

PUPPETS!
Okay, so I'm coming off a little harsh. Everything that was in this Digital Event was done very well, like I said, puppets. More specifically, puppets of the president of Nintendo; Satoru Iwata, the president of Nintendo of America; Reggie Fils Aimé and Shigeru Miyamoto. In other words, the puppets are amazing.

Here's the problem though, there wasn't enough in the Digital Event and this is where the comparison to Mockingjay Part 1 comes into play. Mockingjay Part 1 had great acting and great drama, but there was barely anything in it and they've clearly left all the action and all the stuff to happen a year later in the second part. In the same way, Nintendo's E3 this year was showcased very well, with a clear, concise and funny Digital Event, but there was barely anything in it and they've left all the exciting stuff, like the new Legend of Zelda and Nintendo's mysterious 'Project NX', for next year's E3. Plus, for both Mockingjay and this year's E3, the previous 'instalments' were so much better in comparison.

So yeah, I didn't hate Nintendo's E3 this year, but I didn't love it. I'd give it a 7/10 or something. Yeah, 7/10. Maybe 7.1/10 for the puppets.


























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Catch-Up

As I've mentioned in my review of Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born , there are a number of films I tragically didn't get the opportunity to review whilst Doctor Who was on. There are still a couple more I want to give full reviews to (hopefully before the end of the year) but right now I'm going to catch up on the majority of the films I missed with another collection of capsule reviews. It's a Christmas miracle! The Post I somehow forgot to write about this one when I did my last catch-up, but that doesn’t matter, because I can write about it now! The Post is a Spielberg film in a similar vein to 2015’s surprisingly brilliant Bridge of Spies . With the content itself not being as fantastical as what Spielberg is known for, his brilliant filmmaking skills are given extra space to shine. This is most noticeable in the incredible way the cinematography reflects the discomfort Meryl Streep’s Kay Graham feels when entering a room filled with stuffy ...

Is Super 8 Any Good?

Super Gr8 Super 8 - A Late Film Review by Nathan Brooks Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of a train exploding. A little while back, Disney bought Star Wars off of George Lucas. Shortly afterwards, they announced they were going to make not one, not two, not three, not four, not fi- oh no wait, it is five. Five new Star Wars films, the first of which, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is being directed by J.J. Abrams. The real question, however, is whether Abrams will do a good job of it or not. Well, this is the film that makes me confident he will. Story On it's own the story isn't extremely amazing, it's just about a bunch of kids discovering a government conspiracy, although it is still interesting. It doesn't reveal too much, meaning you're kept in the dark throughout the majority of the film, so you're always wanting to find out what happens next. The thing is though, that's sort of a sub plot. The main part of the story is th...

Molly's Game Review

Up until this point, Aaron Sorkin has exclusively been a writer. Responsible for creating iconic TV shows such as  The West Wing and The Newsroom , as well as recently penning the screenplays for  The Social Network and  Steve Jobs , Sorkin's dense, witty and rapid-fire style is successful with critics and audiences alike. However, Molly's Game marks Sorkin's first time in the director's chair. Unlike The Social Network and Steve Jobs , where Sorkin's writing was filtered through directors David Fincher and Danny Boyle respectively, this is purely his vision . Is it any good, or is it just an indulgent attempt to cram as many words into 140 minutes as possible? There is no doubt that Molly's Game is an Aaron Sorkin film. Dialogue is the centre of attention and for good reason: it's excellent. Of course, it isn't exactly naturalistic. Every line sounds like one that you come up with an hour after a conversation and wish you'd said instead. Howe...