Skip to main content

A Horrible Christmas Rant

Horrible, Horrible Christmas, In Every Single Sense of the Word
Horrible Christmas - A Quick Rant by Nathan Brooks


The Good
When you expect one thing, and get something else, you can get very angry. You can get so angry that you refuse to acknowledge the positives of what you have got, and just focus on what you haven't got. For example, Agents of SHIELD. I think Agents of SHIELD is great, but unfortunately I don't appear to share that opinion with a lot of other people. Why? Because they're too busy whining about the lack of all the superhero-y stuff they expected and fair enough, considering you are watching a Marvel TV show. However, I've managed to let that initial disappointment go, and I've found I really enjoy this show. 

The Bad
Horrible Christmas, a Horrible Histories stage production, is the complete opposite of this. As the theme of this post suggests, I expected something great. Horrible Histories is the only children's educational series with any effort put into, at least as far as I can tell and clearly other people feel the same, as both the books and the TV series have won numerous awards, including two British Comedy Awards for best sketch show, in 2010 and 2011. It was also nominated again in 2012 and has won multiple children's choice BAFTAs. Horrible Christmas isn't going to win any awards, apart from biggest disappointment. I would've reviewed this, but realised that that'd be too obvious. So, instead I wrote this.

The Ugly
To be honest, I have no idea where I'm going with this rant. I guess I should explain why I was so disappointed. If you've watched the TV series or read the books (and if you haven't, what the heck's wrong with you?!) then you'll know how hilarious the majority of the jokes are. But I won't treat you with those award-winning gags, no instead I'm going to give you one of the jokes in this play. Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer calls Oliver Twist 'Oliver Twerk-it' and then proceeds to 'twerk', whilst repeating the words, 'twerk-it'. The five year olds in front of me probably thought it was the funniest joke in the history of the world. They've obviously never watched the show or read the books. 

This rant has already gone on long enough, as it was supposed to just be a quick rant. Lets just say this play was an embarrassment to the Horrible Histories series and doesn't deserve to use that name. I expected Horrible Histories, I got Postman Pat's Time Machine featuring 50 fart jokes per second (FJPS). Were my expectations too high? No, Horrible Histories is excellent and those expectations are entirely reasonable, and if you've ever seen the show or read the books, you'd completely agree with me. Yet, even without those high expectations it would SUCK. Agents of SHIELD doesn't suck, it just isn't what most people expected. This just sucks, with disappointment or without. Don't watch it. Ever.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Catch-Up

As I've mentioned in my review of Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born , there are a number of films I tragically didn't get the opportunity to review whilst Doctor Who was on. There are still a couple more I want to give full reviews to (hopefully before the end of the year) but right now I'm going to catch up on the majority of the films I missed with another collection of capsule reviews. It's a Christmas miracle! The Post I somehow forgot to write about this one when I did my last catch-up, but that doesn’t matter, because I can write about it now! The Post is a Spielberg film in a similar vein to 2015’s surprisingly brilliant Bridge of Spies . With the content itself not being as fantastical as what Spielberg is known for, his brilliant filmmaking skills are given extra space to shine. This is most noticeable in the incredible way the cinematography reflects the discomfort Meryl Streep’s Kay Graham feels when entering a room filled with stuffy ...

Is Super 8 Any Good?

Super Gr8 Super 8 - A Late Film Review by Nathan Brooks Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of a train exploding. A little while back, Disney bought Star Wars off of George Lucas. Shortly afterwards, they announced they were going to make not one, not two, not three, not four, not fi- oh no wait, it is five. Five new Star Wars films, the first of which, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is being directed by J.J. Abrams. The real question, however, is whether Abrams will do a good job of it or not. Well, this is the film that makes me confident he will. Story On it's own the story isn't extremely amazing, it's just about a bunch of kids discovering a government conspiracy, although it is still interesting. It doesn't reveal too much, meaning you're kept in the dark throughout the majority of the film, so you're always wanting to find out what happens next. The thing is though, that's sort of a sub plot. The main part of the story is th...

Molly's Game Review

Up until this point, Aaron Sorkin has exclusively been a writer. Responsible for creating iconic TV shows such as  The West Wing and The Newsroom , as well as recently penning the screenplays for  The Social Network and  Steve Jobs , Sorkin's dense, witty and rapid-fire style is successful with critics and audiences alike. However, Molly's Game marks Sorkin's first time in the director's chair. Unlike The Social Network and Steve Jobs , where Sorkin's writing was filtered through directors David Fincher and Danny Boyle respectively, this is purely his vision . Is it any good, or is it just an indulgent attempt to cram as many words into 140 minutes as possible? There is no doubt that Molly's Game is an Aaron Sorkin film. Dialogue is the centre of attention and for good reason: it's excellent. Of course, it isn't exactly naturalistic. Every line sounds like one that you come up with an hour after a conversation and wish you'd said instead. Howe...