Skip to main content

Is the Truman Show Any Good?


It's True, Man
The Truman Show - A Quick Film Review by Nathan Brooks
More like the fake-man show amirite?
Up top!

I've never liked reality TV that much. It's always bored me and I'd much rather watch TV that has been specifically written to be entertaining. So a film that satirises reality TV should be a perfect fit for me. So here's the Truman Show. It's a film that satirises reality TV. See where I'm going with this? Me neither.

What I Like
Pretty much everything. The goal of this film was to satirise reality TV (have I told you that yet?) and it achieves it with flying colours. It makes many points about the issues with reality TV, from question of how real it actually is to the abundance of advertisements in television. It makes all these points very well and never falls into any 'satire traps', by making these points subtly, but never seeming like it's just imitating what it's satirising. 

All of this is aided by an excellent central performance by Jim Carrey, who many refer to as the best performance of his career (a statement which I have to agree with). He makes Truman an extremely likeable character that you sympathise with, whilst also perfectly exploring how a person would react to being trapped in a fake world that everyone else but him is in on. 

Andrew Niccol's script is also excellent, Peter Weir's directing is very interesting, due to the way he implements the hidden cameras in Truman's world, and the score is fittingly weird.

What I Dislike
I have no idea what to write here. Seriously, I have no idea what to put here. I've searched and searched my brain to find something I thought was bad, or slightly off about this film, but I genuinely can't. It's left me speechless it's so good.

What I Think
The Truman Show is an excellent satire, it brings up many important issues and interesting points about television, but also has a very entertaining story with a very likeable main character. It's a very difficult film to find fault with, so I've just plain given up on trying to. The Truman Show is easily one of the most interesting, clever and entertaining films I've ever seen.

Overall: 10/10

Use the force Truman.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Catch-Up

As I've mentioned in my review of Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born , there are a number of films I tragically didn't get the opportunity to review whilst Doctor Who was on. There are still a couple more I want to give full reviews to (hopefully before the end of the year) but right now I'm going to catch up on the majority of the films I missed with another collection of capsule reviews. It's a Christmas miracle! The Post I somehow forgot to write about this one when I did my last catch-up, but that doesn’t matter, because I can write about it now! The Post is a Spielberg film in a similar vein to 2015’s surprisingly brilliant Bridge of Spies . With the content itself not being as fantastical as what Spielberg is known for, his brilliant filmmaking skills are given extra space to shine. This is most noticeable in the incredible way the cinematography reflects the discomfort Meryl Streep’s Kay Graham feels when entering a room filled with stuffy ...

Is Super 8 Any Good?

Super Gr8 Super 8 - A Late Film Review by Nathan Brooks Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of a train exploding. A little while back, Disney bought Star Wars off of George Lucas. Shortly afterwards, they announced they were going to make not one, not two, not three, not four, not fi- oh no wait, it is five. Five new Star Wars films, the first of which, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is being directed by J.J. Abrams. The real question, however, is whether Abrams will do a good job of it or not. Well, this is the film that makes me confident he will. Story On it's own the story isn't extremely amazing, it's just about a bunch of kids discovering a government conspiracy, although it is still interesting. It doesn't reveal too much, meaning you're kept in the dark throughout the majority of the film, so you're always wanting to find out what happens next. The thing is though, that's sort of a sub plot. The main part of the story is th...

Molly's Game Review

Up until this point, Aaron Sorkin has exclusively been a writer. Responsible for creating iconic TV shows such as  The West Wing and The Newsroom , as well as recently penning the screenplays for  The Social Network and  Steve Jobs , Sorkin's dense, witty and rapid-fire style is successful with critics and audiences alike. However, Molly's Game marks Sorkin's first time in the director's chair. Unlike The Social Network and Steve Jobs , where Sorkin's writing was filtered through directors David Fincher and Danny Boyle respectively, this is purely his vision . Is it any good, or is it just an indulgent attempt to cram as many words into 140 minutes as possible? There is no doubt that Molly's Game is an Aaron Sorkin film. Dialogue is the centre of attention and for good reason: it's excellent. Of course, it isn't exactly naturalistic. Every line sounds like one that you come up with an hour after a conversation and wish you'd said instead. Howe...