Skip to main content

Is Splatoon Any Good?

Ink-Credible
Splatoon - A Video Game Review by Nathan Brooks

You're a squid now, you're a kid now.
As great as everything Nintendo's put out recently has been, originality is something those games have been lacking. All we've been getting is more Mario, more Zelda, more Mario, more Super Smash Bros, more Mario and, also, more Mario. Not that any of those games are bad, in fact I thought Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was the best game of 2014 hands down. However, at E3 2014, Nintendo unveiled a whole host of new ideas, including two new games being developed by the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto. As well as that, there was a little game called 'Splatoon', which saw Nintendo's first venture into 3rd person shooter territory. Territory they decided to cover in ink for some reason.

Story
The game's story is exclusive to its single-player campaign mode (we'll get to that later) it's very, very basic and only serves to add some sort of context to the campaign. The story goes that the Octarians, the rivals of the Inklings (you), have kidnapped the 'Great Zapfish', the thing that provides power for Inkopilis (the Inkling's home) and you have to get it back. Like I said, very basic.

When it gets more interesting, however, is when you discover the collectible 'sunken scrolls'. Sometimes, they're just random bits of information about Inklings and Octarians, sometimes they're just random sentences that are completely out of context and sometimes they're little bits of backstory on the Great Turf War, a war fought between the Inklings and Octarians. 

Without the scrolls providing a bit more depth to the world of Splatoon, the story would, admittedly, be a bit rubbish. Fortunately, the scrolls are there, meaning the story isn't  all that bad.
6.5/10

Gameplay
Nintendo can't just make a game into a certain genre. They have to make it completely their own. In other words, Splatoon is the most refreshing, original and fun shooter I've ever played.

Wait, so am I a squid now, or a kid now?
The main online mode, turf wars, isn't won by killing people, that'd be too normal. No, instead you win by covering the area with ink. Cover the area with the most of your team's colour ink and you win. This mechanic basically means anyone can turn the game around at any point, as all you have to do is get the motivation to cover as much of the opposites colour as possible, something a 30 second countdown often supplies. I've played many games when, despite my team dominating the entire match, in the last 30 seconds I've found myself loosing.

One of the main mechanics in the game is the ability to turn into a squid and swim around in your teams coloured Ink. This leaves you more vulnerable, but it does mean you can get around much faster. It also means you can hide from the opposition and then ambush them. In fact it allows you to create loads of tactics around what appears to be a simple mechanic that, in my opinion, makes the game.

The single-player campaign, although short, has some outstanding level design, taking full effect of the excellent mechanics in some excellent stages reminiscent of the Super Mario Galaxy series, the greatest two games I've ever played.

All of the mechanics Nintendo have created for Splatoon are wonderfully unique, very clever and extremely enjoyable
10/10

Presentation
I'm really confused, at first I thought
I was a kid now, but I could also be a
squid now!
The game looks excellent. All of the designs of the characters are brimming with personality and everything looks very 90s, overflowing with backwards caps, colourful brand logos and graffiti. Plus, it all looks and runs perfectly at 1080p, with a consistent 60fps. Most of the dialogue is fairly well written as well, although the two 'Inkopilis News' presenters are a pain, as you have to sit through they're patronising announcements every time you start the game.

The music is also pretty good, continuing the 90s theme of trying way too hard to be cool, but obviously with a sense of self-awareness. There are a couple of tracks that do sound a little off to me, specifically one that has what appears to be an Inkling singing completely out of time with the music. However, the other tracks are all fitting and rather memorable, especially the main theme.
9/10

Lasting Appeal
Splatoon is an incomplete game. I think Nintendo have straight up admitted that. There are only three modes at the moment, the previously mentioned single-player campaign, a 4v4 online and a very lacklustre 1v1 mode that is the only local multiplayer you get. There's also only around five stages at the time of this review and ultimately there isn't enough to really keep your attention for ages. That said, Nintendo are constantly updating this game, only a few days after launch Nintendo released a free update with a brand new weapon, stage and game mode. 

There's also Amiibo figures for the game that I am probably not going to ever get my hands on, as Nintendo have completely screwed up distributing them, so I'm never going to see them in shops and they'll cost me about 40 flipping pounds to get online. That and a van full of them was literally stolen.
6.5/10

Final Thoughts
I've had many conversations with people who have complained to me that Nintendo aren't original enough and, although I have tried to defend Nintendo, ultimately it's sadly true. It does appear, however, that Nintendo are heading in the right direction. Splatoon is far from perfect, but I do truly believe it's the new I.P. Nintendo have needed for ages. It's extremely original, full of colourful Nintendo personality and, most importantly, a whole lot of fun. I just wish there was more of it to enjoy.

Overall: 8/10
Can someone please tell me whether I'm a squid now or a kid now?!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Catch-Up

As I've mentioned in my review of Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born , there are a number of films I tragically didn't get the opportunity to review whilst Doctor Who was on. There are still a couple more I want to give full reviews to (hopefully before the end of the year) but right now I'm going to catch up on the majority of the films I missed with another collection of capsule reviews. It's a Christmas miracle! The Post I somehow forgot to write about this one when I did my last catch-up, but that doesn’t matter, because I can write about it now! The Post is a Spielberg film in a similar vein to 2015’s surprisingly brilliant Bridge of Spies . With the content itself not being as fantastical as what Spielberg is known for, his brilliant filmmaking skills are given extra space to shine. This is most noticeable in the incredible way the cinematography reflects the discomfort Meryl Streep’s Kay Graham feels when entering a room filled with stuffy ...

Is Super 8 Any Good?

Super Gr8 Super 8 - A Late Film Review by Nathan Brooks Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of a train exploding. A little while back, Disney bought Star Wars off of George Lucas. Shortly afterwards, they announced they were going to make not one, not two, not three, not four, not fi- oh no wait, it is five. Five new Star Wars films, the first of which, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is being directed by J.J. Abrams. The real question, however, is whether Abrams will do a good job of it or not. Well, this is the film that makes me confident he will. Story On it's own the story isn't extremely amazing, it's just about a bunch of kids discovering a government conspiracy, although it is still interesting. It doesn't reveal too much, meaning you're kept in the dark throughout the majority of the film, so you're always wanting to find out what happens next. The thing is though, that's sort of a sub plot. The main part of the story is th...

Molly's Game Review

Up until this point, Aaron Sorkin has exclusively been a writer. Responsible for creating iconic TV shows such as  The West Wing and The Newsroom , as well as recently penning the screenplays for  The Social Network and  Steve Jobs , Sorkin's dense, witty and rapid-fire style is successful with critics and audiences alike. However, Molly's Game marks Sorkin's first time in the director's chair. Unlike The Social Network and Steve Jobs , where Sorkin's writing was filtered through directors David Fincher and Danny Boyle respectively, this is purely his vision . Is it any good, or is it just an indulgent attempt to cram as many words into 140 minutes as possible? There is no doubt that Molly's Game is an Aaron Sorkin film. Dialogue is the centre of attention and for good reason: it's excellent. Of course, it isn't exactly naturalistic. Every line sounds like one that you come up with an hour after a conversation and wish you'd said instead. Howe...