Skip to main content

The Martian Review - Interplanetary Cast Away


I'm not that acquainted with the films of Ridley Scott. In fact the only film (other than The Martian) that I've seen of his is Gladiator. Now don't get me wrong, I like Gladiator as much as the next man (provided that the next man likes Gladiator a lot), its a hugely epic film, with a grand story and excellent action, but it's not exactly fun. Really, it hasn't got much personality at all outside of super manliness because violence.

The Martian is surprisingly different, because The Martian is a lot of fun. From first glance, it may seem like a super serious, super intense Gravity/Interstellar style movie and, whilst it does certainly warrant some comparisons to those films, it's very different in tone. There are constant jokes being cracked throughout the film, mainly by Matt Damon's character Mark Watney, all of which are genuinely funny, giving the film an enjoyable atmosphere (I know there's no atmosphere in space, please don't sue me) rather than an edge-of-your-seat one.

That's not to say the film is without tense moments, because, below the light-hearted surface, you are always worried about the next thing that's going to go wrong (and trust me, things will go wrong) and whether Watney is going to find some exciting way to get through it or not. This works because the film does do an excellent job of making you care about Watney's living status. It doesn't rely on tired mechanics (mainly the "I need to get home because family" mechanic), but instead makes Watney such a likable character that you want to see him survive, purely because you like him so much (and not because you care about how much his family cares about him, despite the fact that you've never met them anyway and were probably only mentioned once in a forced, clumsy line of dialogue)

I'm not going to bother going into much detail on how the film looks. Put simply, it looks amazing. It's directed brilliantly (obviously, it is Ridley Scott after all) and all the special effects are convincing enough to convince you that they aren't just special effects trying to convince you that they're not special effects, rather that you are actually right there, on Mars, even though they are actually just special effects trying to convince you that they aren't special effects. You get me?

I honestly can't think of another film I've enjoyed watching more this year than The Martian. I also can't think of a film this year that I've cared so much about the main character more than The Martian. I also also can't think of a film this year that has looked better than The Martian. In fact, with its excellent visuals, brilliant central character and surprisingly enjoyable tone, The Martian is definitely a front runner for my favourite film of 2015.

The Martian - Overall Score: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Catch-Up

As I've mentioned in my review of Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born , there are a number of films I tragically didn't get the opportunity to review whilst Doctor Who was on. There are still a couple more I want to give full reviews to (hopefully before the end of the year) but right now I'm going to catch up on the majority of the films I missed with another collection of capsule reviews. It's a Christmas miracle! The Post I somehow forgot to write about this one when I did my last catch-up, but that doesn’t matter, because I can write about it now! The Post is a Spielberg film in a similar vein to 2015’s surprisingly brilliant Bridge of Spies . With the content itself not being as fantastical as what Spielberg is known for, his brilliant filmmaking skills are given extra space to shine. This is most noticeable in the incredible way the cinematography reflects the discomfort Meryl Streep’s Kay Graham feels when entering a room filled with stuffy ...

Is Super 8 Any Good?

Super Gr8 Super 8 - A Late Film Review by Nathan Brooks Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of a train exploding. A little while back, Disney bought Star Wars off of George Lucas. Shortly afterwards, they announced they were going to make not one, not two, not three, not four, not fi- oh no wait, it is five. Five new Star Wars films, the first of which, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is being directed by J.J. Abrams. The real question, however, is whether Abrams will do a good job of it or not. Well, this is the film that makes me confident he will. Story On it's own the story isn't extremely amazing, it's just about a bunch of kids discovering a government conspiracy, although it is still interesting. It doesn't reveal too much, meaning you're kept in the dark throughout the majority of the film, so you're always wanting to find out what happens next. The thing is though, that's sort of a sub plot. The main part of the story is th...

Molly's Game Review

Up until this point, Aaron Sorkin has exclusively been a writer. Responsible for creating iconic TV shows such as  The West Wing and The Newsroom , as well as recently penning the screenplays for  The Social Network and  Steve Jobs , Sorkin's dense, witty and rapid-fire style is successful with critics and audiences alike. However, Molly's Game marks Sorkin's first time in the director's chair. Unlike The Social Network and Steve Jobs , where Sorkin's writing was filtered through directors David Fincher and Danny Boyle respectively, this is purely his vision . Is it any good, or is it just an indulgent attempt to cram as many words into 140 minutes as possible? There is no doubt that Molly's Game is an Aaron Sorkin film. Dialogue is the centre of attention and for good reason: it's excellent. Of course, it isn't exactly naturalistic. Every line sounds like one that you come up with an hour after a conversation and wish you'd said instead. Howe...